Wednesday 25 January 2012

Australia Day: Vegan Mango Lamingtons





There are some people that would say that it would be sacrilege to do anything other than chocolate. But those people can bugger off, cos I'm doing it my way. Lamingtons are an Australian invention from around 1901. There are many versions of how it was invented, but in any case, it was named after Lord Lamington, who was a governor of Queensland. Traditionally, it was a way to use up plain sponge cake. Cut into squares, and dipped in chocolate icing, it is then rolled in coconut and left to set. Sometimes it is sandwiched with jam, or jam and cream. There have been some modern twists that seem to be quite popular, including strawberry ones in pink icing, and lemon ones in yellow icing. But mine is going to be mango! I did forget I only had shredded, not desiccated coconut, so they are a bit rougher than traditional lamingtons, but they still look so pretty!

I made a plain vanilla cake in a loaf tin (you can use the cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World). I let it cool, then cut off the crusts and cut into slices for easy rectangles.

To make the icing dip, I melted equal amounts of  melted cacao butter with pure icing sugar, and added a few drops of food colouring. I dipped the squares in, then dipped in shredded coconut (I should have used desiccated). I left it to set on a plate in the fridge - and here's a tip, do it on greaseproof paper so it's easy to peel off. 

I mashed some mango, and dolloped it onto one lamington slice, and sandwiched it with another. You could also add some whipped coconut cream, or whipped tofutti with the mango before you sandwich.




No comments:

Post a Comment