Sunday 3 June 2012

Rawmazing Race: Cannelloni in Palermo


I have no idea where May went, all I know is that I planned so much and just got lost somewhere along the way.it's been a frustrating month where everything just doesn't seem to go quite right and being wet and cold has effected my mood.  I will certainly try to get some more posts up, but June is going to also be a busy month. In any case I'm going to try and shake the winter blues with some good raw food, so I will try and post what I'm eating even if the pictures are a bit crappy. So onwards with the rawmazing race...

I could be sitting in a cafe in Palermo, so chic in my designer frock eating this healthy version of cannelloni. I'm not, but it doesn't hurt to dream. I've seen other versions of raw cannelloni but it seemed too fiddly with wrapping all those slices of zucchini, and they didn't have any sauce on top of them. This just involves coring a cucumber (or zucchini) with an apple corer and stuffing the centre - although to tell the truth I couldn't find the apple corer so used a cannoli tube and tapped that through instead :) Necessity is indeed the mother of invention! It took me about 15 minutes, maybe less to put this together, a speedy meal indeed, and so many good things going into my body. 

Ingredients
Canneloni "tubes" I used were two cucumbers peeled, and cored (keep the peel and cores)

For the filling
1 tablespoon raw pine nuts
big handful spinach
centre of cucumber, and peel
couple of fresh basil leaves
sliver of fresh garlic
pepper
lemon juice

Topping
Finely chopped fresh tomato (you could puree instead but I like them with a bit more texture)

For the sauce
1/2 cup almonds and cashews, soaked
juice of a lemon
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
water

Method
To make the filling pulse in food processor all ingredients, and then stuff the tubes.

Chop the tomatoes finely and put on top of the tubes

Puree sauce ingredients, adding a little water at a time until a good consistency is reached, it shouldn't be too runny, but thinner than a dip. Top the tubes, and eat!








No comments:

Post a Comment