Sunday 23 September 2012

Hazelnut & Pine Nut Dukkah



You may have noticed a little change on this blog, a fresh new look for Spring! I've got a new space just for taking blog photos and I love the rustic little nook with lots of natural light. Since the days are getting longer and daylight saving is just around the corner, I will hopefully getting more posts up on growing and eating great vego food. Not to mention Vegan Mofo is almost here!

Mrs Bean and myself have just done some catering for a wedding. I'd love to post some photos but alas we are just too busy to stop and smell the salad dressing. I have stopped and smelled the dukkah though. As part of an antipasto platter I made a heap of dukkah using some gorgeous fat hazelnuts grown in Orange. Not many people grow hazelnuts in Australia, so it was lovely to have some home grown organic ones to use instead of the smaller imported ones. The smell of the spices and nuts as I toasted each ingredient individually before crushing them wafted through the kitchen and all I wanted to do was eat all of it!

There are lots of recipes, but this is my version. I find the pine nuts give it a deeper flavour. Have some served with some virgin olive oil and some good quality sourdough.

Ingredients
150gr hazelnuts
100gr sesame seeds
50gr pine nuts
60gr coriander seeds
60gr cumin seeds
freshly cracked black pepper
sea salt flakes

Method
In a frying pan, dry toast each of the nuts and spices individually. 
Crush each ingredient separately either in a mortar and pestle, or with a spice grinder on a coarse setting. You can make it as fine or as coarse as you like.
Toss ingredients together and add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment