Tuesday 13 August 2013

Cookbook Mondays: Chocolate Fudgey Oatmeal Cookies & Blackstrap Gingersnaps

Chocolate Fudgey Oatmeal Cookies
 Admittedly I'm not posting this on Monday, but I can assure you, the Beloved's Treat Tins were full to bursting on Monday! First off are the Chocolate Fudgey Oatmeal Cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.  I knew these were going to be super choc and super sweet just by reading the ingredients, and hence the Beloved would like them. They taste great, and are very fudgey, and moist. If you are going to make these, don't get too alarmed if the dough is more like batter! I found it was quite runny, but let it stand for 10 minutes for the oats to soak up the moisture, and the dough was fine.
There isn't any mention of this in the recipe, so just a heads up if you're going to make them.
Blackstrap Gingersnaps
Next I made the Blackstrap Gingersnaps. I was looking forward to these because I quite like ginger biscuits, and they aren't overly sweet. They taste really good, there is a bit of a back note of bitterness from the molasses to balance out the sugar, and they are lovely and gingery. To make them more snappy I would personally make the dough a little firmer to roll out and cut out the cookies so they are thinner and more like biscuits (that's Aussie biscuit, not American biscuit for those of you in the northern hemisphere). I did find with these ones that I had to add more flour than the recipe called for to get a dough firm enough to roll into balls, somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 cup, so keep that in mind if you have a crack at these ones too. 

I'll keep going with Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar for a couple more recipes and then switch it up with another recipe book, just to keep me from getting bored with the one book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment