Wednesday 11 September 2013

Chocolate Chai


I can't vouch for the authenticity of this at all. But then, I'm not claiming it to be authentic, it has chocolate in it. No doubt Haviwah and Winnie can vouch for a much more authentic recipe (you can check out their adventures here). And who knows, maybe eventually we will make our way over to India for our much belated honeymoon and they can actually make me a real cup :)

Ok, so all you chai die hards are probably groaning or throwing your hands up in horror. Or not. Maybe you might give this a try – it isn’t one of those crappy syrups after all, this is made with real spices!
I am quite fond of chai, it’s a nice little pick me up on a cold afternoon or evening. Or, when you are still in a funk over a certain recent election, but you don’t want to take up the bottle to cope for the next three years. Ahem.  

I used Twinings Australian Afternoon Tea blend (forever known in our house as Kev) as it a is a full bodied strong tea which I believe is the basis for a good cuppa chai. I also used couverture dark chocolate bits, but you could use any decent quality dairy free chocolate and grate it instead. Some people like to make chai half water half milk, but I personally like this chocolate one made only with milk. I use Bonsoy at is very rich and creamy which seems to carry the spices really well. I like mine very gingery, so feel free to adjust spices to suit your taste.
Ingredients
125gr loose leaf Kev (or another strong tea)
2/3 cup dark chocolate bits
¼ cup ground cinnamon
½ cup ginger powder
¼ cup crushed cardamom pods
¼ cup ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground coriander

Method
Mix all ingredients together and keep in a tightly sealed container.
To make the chai, use 2 heaped  teaspoons of the mix per 250ml non dairy milk, bring to the boil, and simmer for a couple of minutes, to allow chocolate to melt.  Let stand for five minutes, strain and serve. Add sugar to taste.


2 comments:

  1. This would be perfect for this morning as we're having our first taste of fall here in the South. Lovely! And I love that it has chocolate in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious, but it's still in the 80s where I am! Bookmarking it for later...

    ReplyDelete