Sunday 8 September 2013

Cookbook Mondays: Pom Pom Sushi



Last year I bought Kansha by Elizabeth Andoh. If you like Japanese cuisine but are always trying to work out what is and isn't vegan then I highly recommend this book. I bought it once again because I was suckered in by the beautiful photography and mouthwatering descriptions, but also because I hadn't come across a specifically vegan Japanese cookbook before.  I've made a few things from it and it is always delicious. The Beloved has grown fond of sushi lately, so for dinner I've made some red and white miso soup, and Pom Pom Sushi that looks so freakin' cute! They are really easy to make, so if you have never tried making your own sushi rolls, or you have tried and failed, have a crack at these. The idea is that you use up left over bits and pieces and wrap them around the balls of sushi rice. I had bok choi leaves, carrot, avocado, mushrooms, pickled ginger, capsicum, and some red lettuce which I used for mine. I think the more colours you have the prettier it is! 

6 comments:

  1. Pom pom sushi!! It looks so cute and tasty! I think I've heard of one other vegan Japanese cookbook, but I'm adding this one to my list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! They look so incredibly cute!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Cam would looove this cookbook (I'm not as huge a Japanese food fan as he is).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pom pom sushi is so cute and it's got such an adorable name! I might have to get this cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! These would be great for a dinner party or something because they look very fancy but sound super easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of the above -- so pretty! I also really loved your political post and the way you took it out on the food. I know this is a simplistic generalization, but it so often seems to me that the "average citizen" wants mostly the same thing from his/her government and country, and it's usually not wars and vindication and ego and ... and ... Well, I know it's more complicated than that, but here's to leaders who perceive power other than the simply muscular kind.

    ReplyDelete