Wednesday 4 September 2013

Vegan Potato Slaw


Whenever I think of coleslaw I think of my friend Phil over at Adventureland Games. I remember making a slaw for a tiki night once and he declared he could swim in a pool of it (perhaps taking a mouthful with each stroke)! Potato slaw and coleslaw are one of those things that everyone loves at a BBQ but they are ridiculously high in kilojoules and mayonnaise. I decided to merge the two with a far healthier, and vegan dressing. Many of the ingredients came out of my garden which made it easier just to use a little of this and that, and I ended up with four generous serves.  You can use whatever greens you like, I just have all of these in the veg patch.

Ingredients
6 desiree potatoes, quartered, and cooked, skin on
3 thin slices of fennel, chopped fine
1 large carrot grated
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup mixed greens shredded – I used red Russian kale, rocket, and Chinese mustard
1 stalk celery finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely chopped leek
1 bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped

Dressing
3 tablespoons tahini
½ avocado
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
Juice and rind of 1 small lemon
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ cup water
Pinch sea salt
Plenty of cracked black pepper

Method
Boil the potatoes until just cooked and still firm, and rinse in plenty of cold water. Set aside.
Prepare all other salad ingredients and toss together in a bowl with the cold potato.

To make the dressing, put all the ingredients in a blender and whizz until well mixed. Toss through potato slaw and serve.

3 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty photo!
    I have to say I'm also a big fan of the classic kilojoule laden dressing too. Is the tahini overpowering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, we didn't find it overpowering, just lends a really nice nuttiness to the creamy avocado. You can always back it down if its too strong :)

      Delete
  2. This is like all my favorite things mixed together in a bowl. Such a fantastic sounding salad!

    ReplyDelete