Saturday 27 August 2011

Kentucky Tofu Nuggets


Ok, I know. These aren't particularly healthy. And I didn't grow any of it myself. And I didn't make the seasoning from scratch. And it is a little funny that the seasoning is for use on "any poultry" but on the back is listed as vegan so that I actually chuckled out loud in the supermarket. And the fact they are remarkably like (as I remember them) KFC nuggets they don't particularly help the vegetarian cause. BUT - after gving these to my omnivore sister Rachel last weekend who poo pooed them and then demanded to know if I was making another batch - I think you'll find these scrum-diddly-umptious!

Ingredients
1 large block of hard tofu ( I used a 600g block)
1/2 cup Nice N' Tasty Kentucky Style Chicken Seasoning
1 cup water
oil for deep frying

Method
Mix seasoning and water into a bowl and whisk into a batter. stand aside for a few minutes to thicken.
Turn on your deep fryer. If you don't have one, a small saucepan 2/3 filled with oil is fine ( and I think less messy). To test the the temperature drop a small amount of batter into the ol to see if it bubbles up to the top.
Cut the tofu into bite sized cubes (about 3cm). Coat in the batter, and then gently drop the battered cubes into the oil. Don't overcrowd the pan - cook in batches of about five.
When golden remove with a metal slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
you can double batter tehm by allowing to cool after the first cook, redipping, and then cooking until a deep brown - they'll be nice and crunchy!
Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment